Tarves Community Council

Minutes of Meeting Held on Tuesday 21st August 2007

In Tarves School at 7.30pm


Members Present:

Councillors S Andrew, G Brown, J. Boughey, K. Crichton, R Davidson, (Chair and Minutes), I. Massie, B McPetrie, D Reville, C Taylor, and J Thomson.

Non Members Present:

Aberdeenshire Councillor P. Johnston


C Councillors D Leslie, Steve Pratt (Ellon Police) and J. Gifford.

Minutes of Previous Meeting (24th July 2007)

Minutes were proposed by Sam and seconded by Colin, with all members in agreement.


Police Report 

All quiet in area other than daytime theft of granite garden ornament from Nethermill. B999 Bob has contacted |Steve re securing a formal protocol for diversions from B999 after a road accident. Paul to contact Insp Pratt.


Barthol Chapel Matters

  1. Roads – Road junction at Balgove still requires repairs. This has been reported.

  2. Village Enhancement Grant – John to report to Formartine Partnership that Tarves CC support the Barthol Chapel application.

  3. BCCA Correspondence – Response e-mailed to Jonathan – hopeful BCCA will now supply copy of their minutes to TCC.

Matters arising (from minutes)

  1. Mackie Avenue Affordable Housing – Info on Management costs being acquired by Elaine Blaine who will send to CC.

  2. Bakery – Area Manager thought Planners had dealt with this – again agreed to get a response from Planners.

  3. Bus Lay-by, Shelters in Square – Barrier now in place.

  4. Car Parking Opposite School – Support expressed for this from locals including school bus operator. CC to send letter of support.

  5. Leask House - John to contact Arthur re. getting the books to members.

  6. All Weather Court – Colin to check if this work has been done.

  7. Community Newsletter (TBC News) – Next deadline 17th August - articles etc to be sent to Moira Allan, 36 Bede Way, Tarves or tbc@tarves.org.uk

  8. The Hut (Zone 98) - Confirmation of insurance arrangements awaited from Neil. – Colin to pursue this and grant applications from Area Top Up. To Do.

  9. Mid Formartine Ward – AC Cllrs have still to rectify the problem of who attends each CC meeting.

  10. School Extension – AC Local members to lobby for this to be prioritised as a matter of urgency, due to the condition of the Horsa hut building. No Progress

  11. Scheme for Establishment of CC’s – Colin to ask for The Hut to be represented at CC meetings

  12. Recycling and Waste Issues – Guides and information pamphlets for display locally – Additional info now received

  13. Christmas Lights – Sponsors appeal to be placed in TBC News as no response to date.

  14. Haddo CPR - Company has now been formed, hopeful of grant success. Development officer to be appointed. Thur 5th November

  15. School Nursery - Storage container now in place – extra costs incurred due to ramp – catalogue of disasters and extra costs since Nursery project began.

Matters Outstanding

  1. Noticeboard - Dick currently coating with preservative. Ian has brackets. To do.

  2. Tarves Website – Paul to speak with volunteer (Jim).

  3. Glebe Field - Fencing – Bob still to speak to farmer re moving gate down to opposite cemetery entrance. To do.

Local Member’s Report

  1. All Weather Court – This is now responsibility of Landscape Services – Paul to ask again to get lights fixed.

  2. Wind Turbines (FAC) Sites approved at Courtstone, Denhill and Haddo - at ISC soon.

  3. Aberdeen Scotch Meat Factory - Planning appeal allowed by Reporter. Chair to write to officials to ask for this to be called in by Minister.

  4. PUT - One resident has reported that they would be happy with trailer in Braiklay park.

  5. Enforcement re Planning Conditions at Old Abdn. Road new house. Officials monitoring the fact the garage wall has not been fully demolished as per conditions.

  6. B999 Route action – Improvements, white line repainting, ongoing.

  7. Formartine in Bloom – Results soon.

  8. Tolquhon Avenue 20mph flashing sign – now repaired

Planning Matters

  1. Mains of Tolquhon Steading conversions – Drainage info awaited

  2. Maryville – Letter from village resident objecting to application for new house – content noted.

  3. Site 1 Little Ythsie – Amended design – no comments.


Roads, Paths and Signs

  1. Recycling point - directional sign now installed - Eureka.

  2. Raxton to Sonach road - needs upgrading, particularly drainage issues All Mid Formartine members to pursue this. Nothing in current roads programme for this.

  3. Braiklay Ave - sign needs replaced after being damaged some time ago. P.J. to pursue

  4. Stuart Crescent – Overhanging tree – G.B. to contact AC 01467 620981.

  5. Smiddyhill/Cairnbrogie crossroads Sign needed to depict Oldmeldrum and signs for Tarves from Oldmeldrum inc bypass – Bob to action.

  6. Disabled spaces in Square – Roads are assessing provision currently.


  1. BCCA – Letter agreeing to communication improvements – response e-mailed to Jonathan.

  2. Community Care info, AC Insurance for CC’s info - Paul to review

  3. Old Tennis Court, School Lane – Proposal to lease for car sales – it was agreed that the suggested fees were inadequate. Owners are now aware of this.

  4. Tarves School. Chair has contacted all Mid Formartine members to request that they discuss the issue of the School extension as a matter of urgency. No Progress

  5. Ythsie/B999 junction – Roads are to request landscaping and consider pushing for a lay-by to improve safety for 2 way traffic.

  6. Environmental Health – Letter re Travellers – Dick reviewed – no response required.

  7. RTPI – Meeting on 4th Sept, 2) Community Planning, 3) AC Public Performance Report – Dick (1), David (2) and Barbara (3) to review.

  8. Recycling and Waste info - more copies now received to be posted on noticeboard.

  9. Decision Notices received for – Canach, Little Ythsie Replacement Dwelling, Granted, Aberdeen Arms House in car park (amendments to conditions re external material) monocouche and galv rainwater goods - refused.

  10. Plants application – Amenity Group to progress.

  11. Info from Alex Salmond MSP also Bank of Scotland info.

  12. ASCC info - meeting and National Survey and info on "the Community Councillor" news sheet. Also Planning Aid info. and letter from Scottish Water.



  1. Prop of Ythsie – Maintenance - Keith Newton looking into budget issues – still no update. No Possibility of grant from landfill/landraise tax scheme.

  2. Little Park Goalposts have been removed – Paul to progress return.

  3. Village Enhancement Grant – CC to apply for this for Village gateway signs Dick/Sam

  4. FAC Reports – Letter from Committee Officer stating that papers would no longer be sent to CC as a matter of routine. Now to be included for discussion at CC Forum.

Community Council meetings are always open to the public.

The above minutes were approved at T.C.C. meeting on Tuesday 18th September 2007 in Tarves School.


Robert P. Davidson



Community Council meetings are always open to the public.



Council main page| Dates of 2007 Meetings| Council Minutes Index