Council main page| Dates of 2008 Meetings| Council Minutes Index



Tarves Community Council
Minutes of meeting held on Tuesday 17th March 2009
In Tarves School at 7.00pm.


  1. Members Present:
    R Davidson (Chair), J Thomson, D Reville, I Massie, C Taylor, B McPetrie and N Marr

    Also Present:

    AC Councillor P Johnston, Shaun Norman (Planning) Judith Sleigh (Barthol Chapel)

    N Dougall (Minutes) Sgt L Brown and two Members of the Public

    Apologies: S Andrew, D Beattie, D Leslie, J Boughey, Inspector Pratt and AC Councillors J Gifford, J Loveday and A Hendry.

  2. Minutes of Previous Meeting (17th February 2009)

    Minutes proposed by I Massie and seconded C Taylor

  3. Co-Option of New Member– Neil Marr of Craigdam, Tarves -Proposed by Bob Davidson and seconded by Dick Reville – motion carried.

  4. Tarves Conservation Area Review:-

    Shaun Norman (AC Built Heritage) brought copies of plans that AC are currently using showing the CA Boundaries. He asked that CC check any changes to plans and if all boundaries are included. CC to have meeting with Heritage Group and then a Public meeting. CC to send list of dates to Shaun to arrange a suitable time for a meeting to discuss findings. Shaun was reminded that wet harl is not the traditional finish for Tarves. There would be input from Historic Scotland. It is important that all applications are treated the same way in future.

  5. Police Report:-

    Sgt Brown reported there had been little crime in the area and only one had been reported

    In the last four weeks – Mathers Meat Factory had been broken in to between 4-5th of March and a laptop and ten bottles of whisky had been taken.

    Sgt Brown also said there had been reports of Hare-Coursing in the area, any signs of this – please report to local Police.

  6. Barthol Chapel Matters.

    1. CC had received details of a Development bid for land at Barthol Chapel which included a football pitch opposite the Kirk. It was agreed to seek feedback from residents and BCCA. It was noted that opinion was still in favour of retaining the view of the Kirk from the East and the protected area should be extended to include the land at the rear of Kirk.

      With regards to above Barthol Chapel has submitted letter to AC regarding the protected land as has CC – CC has had response stating their letter received.

    2. With regards to proposed development of future Houses, another Public Meeting is to be arranged to discuss further.

    3. J Boughey was at meeting for Local Plan Development, under the impression that some development would be welcome – this would be discussed at meeting to be arranged

    Also the feedback for Reporters Survey was to be submitted by end of April, copy to CC as well as invitation to the Meeting would be sent.

    Judith Sleigh also reported that Barthol Chapel are applying for a Village Enhancement Grant. She also directed a problem to Sgt Brown regarding Cars speeding and 2-3 cars parking in the Churchyard at night, making a noise, noisy exhausts etc. Sgt Brown said she would investigate further.

  7. Matters Arising (from Minutes)

    1. AC Insurance for CC’s – There has still been no proper explanation – this has been spoken about at Forum – waiting on update

    2. All Weather Court — 3 lights now ok, 1 still to be seen to - Work order to be issued –

      This is on going regarding payment of electricity and responsibility – a meeting is to be held in approx two months – P Johnston has looked in to

    3. Community Newsletter (TBC News) - articles, etc. to be sent to Moira Allan, 36 Bede Way, Tarves, or email By Friday 15th May 09

    4. Local Plan Development Bids. Link on AC website now working

    5. Tarves School – Head teacher has now decided to refuse the CC permission to use photocopier at any time. There was a formal agreement with the previous Headteacher which allowed this - no problems arose in these 10 + years. Chair to ask Area Manager to

      rectify this decision. There have also been difficulties in gaining agreement for all CC meeting dates that we had last year. Chair to enquire with Barthol Chapel School. –

      This is being progressed by Area Manager to be addressed at May Meeting

  8. Matters Outstanding

    Prop of Ythsie – Chair writing to Robert Gray regarding how it is to be maintained as no funding has been allocated – also regarding state of Car Park - Chair writing to Mr. Gray

    with a list of CC Meeting times – as Mr. Gray has said he is willing to come and discuss problem – still awaiting date

  9. Local Members Report:-

    P Johnston reported on following:-

    1. All Weather Court – The payment of electricity and maintenance will at the moment be the responsibility of Education and Leisure, it is on the Agenda for the next Committee Meeting to agree how this is to be dealt with in future – Chair asked to check Community use will be allowed when this matter is discussed.

    2. Mackie Avenue:-No feedback from Housing Services meanwhile – Site will be cleared from Existing Contractors in approx 2 weeks. – This would mean that the Contractors would have to return to site. Chair to write to AC

    3. Roads Maintenance Programme: - has been released – the light programme for Braiklay Avenue is not shown on it – Paul is going to check why. There are two areas for road works shown – Raxton – to pass Shethin and surfacing and edging work Tillycairn – Balgove Corner.

  10. Roads. Paths and Signs

    1. Walls around Square - Ian has spoken to local tradesman – awaiting confirmation to see if he would wish to do repairs and give suggestions for improvements. Graeme Steel AC is seeking feedback from TCC. Ian/Paul to liaise – in progress

    2. Shethin – Potholes – being looked into – some have already been seen to.

    3. Kirk brae – pavement breaking up – been inspected – works order may be issued

    4. Tree Road - asking to be looked at

    5. Tolquhon/ B999 - Problems with drain – this has now been repaired

  11. Committee Reports:-

    1. John Thomson reported – Friends of Haddo are having a meeting on 18th March –

      B McPetrie has become a Committee Member – and although as reported in media Haddo House is only going to open now through arrangement, the Parks and Grounds etc will remain open. A Report is to be issued by National Trust on cut backs etc – Chair to write to try and promote Haddo and hopefully lessen cutbacks.

    2. John was also at Meeting regarding all the proposals for the next Formartine Partnership ‘Project’ to be undertaken. The List is to be prioritised and CC will be advised.

    3. Colin Taylor – was at CDG meeting in Old Meldrum – there is to be an ‘Easter Camp’ organised for children, this will be mainly self-funding. After School Club may be closing, but premises in Meldrum Primary have been found and parents are organising – Hopefully starting in Aug 09 – after school care will be organised for interim period.

    4. Neil Marr – said he had noticed a proposal for new housing in Craigdam (Development Bids). – he was advised by Chair to consult with residents and report back to CC

  12. Correspondence

  1. Aberdeenshire Council – Information for Various Licences and Parent Council also Chair had reply to various issues raised – Chair to contact.

  2. Forestry Commission – Proposal to Sell/Leasing Ground – has been abandoned by Government at moment

  3. Local Plan (Piers Blaxter) seeking feedback on dev. Bids - To be discussed soon

  4. The Scottish Government – A letter letting us know a Planning Appeal for Duthie Road – Care Home/ Business Centre has been arranged in the Main Hall, New Inn Hotel, Ellon – any correspondence for Duthie Appeal, Sub Committee will handle – CC agreed

  5. Aberdeenshire City and Shire – Finalised structure plan for Development, P Johnston said he still had some concerns.

  6. Community Councillors Meeting: - Sat 16th May 09 – 10.30am – Woodhill House, Aberdeen – Meeting with Local MSPs – also looking for a Rep. On area body on ASC – form to be returned by 16 April 09

  7. Aberdeenshire Community Planning Partnership –

    Looking for New Candidate to Executive – period of service 2 years – deadline 1st May 09- Chair writing to Isobel Page to see if we could re- nominate her.

  8. Pitmedden First Responders – AGM 27 April 09 – B McPetrie attending

  9. Aberdeenshire Council – Local Dev Plans – bids submitted by Developers paperwork

  10. Dogs Trust – Canine Care Card Scheme – Display posters

  1. Planning Matters

    1. Mains of Cairnbrogie Wind Turbines CC - Writing – objecting to application in current form – still to go to Committee

    2. Roselea Steading, Tarves – Approved – Planners decide where CA boundaries are irrespective of the approved and adopted Local Plan. Chair to query this.

    3. Tarves School – New kitchen, Dining Room extension with ancillary accommodation

      Chair writing regarding soakaway – to ask Councillors reasoning and stressing problems.

    4. Park House, Youllieburn – granny flat annexe – acceptable if within policy

    5. Old Balgove – ext to dwelling house - acceptable

    6. 16 Braiklay Ave, Tarves – alt & ext - acceptable (C Taylor – declared interest and did not


    7. Hopeville, Tree Road, Tarves - alterations –acceptable

    8. Tanglewood, Craigdam – extension to garage – acceptable (D Reville – declared interest in the above two and did not participate)

    9. Decision Notices

      1. Tolquhon Ave, Tarves – Alt & Ext to dwelling house - acceptable


      2. The Globe Inn – new application submitted for Hotel and Guest House grounds. – Went to Committee – has been passed – out-line planning permission

      3. Mains of Tolquhon – new Application for 3 houses and holiday let – passed

      4. Shethin Bothy, Tarves

      5. Hardford, Barthol Chapel

    10. Chair – asked CC about whether we have Meeting regarding Future Developments

      To get feedback from Public – CC agreed – date to be confirmed

  2. AOCB

  1. Car park at the Prop – complaints regarding saturated condition of path and dog fouling and car park- Colin Miller from AC is going to see to – Car Park first- then Path

  2. Dog – fouling in Children’s Play Area to be reported and acted on. Dog Warden (Maureen Adam) – 01467 628683 Mobile — 07771 941982

  3. Mains of Cairnbrogie Wind Turbines - Mr. Simmers addressed the meeting regarding the proposed Wind turbines in Craigdam Area- he asked for meeting to be arranged with Craigdam Residents and CC – he was also going to try and get Rep from Greencat to attend. He said he had approached the Electricity Reps asking if it would be possible to remove the wind turbine nearest Craigdam. They said it would be looked at and checked if this would be viable. Mr. Simmers was advised there would be no comment until the Residents had been spoken with and anything that was to happen would be all in writing and new plans from Planning service. CC to be advised regarding meeting.

The above minutes were approved at TCC meeting on Tuesday 21st April 09 in Tarves School.

Robert P. Davidson



Community Council Meetings are always open to the Public.




Council main page| Dates of 2008 Meetings| Council Minutes Index